Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How to Make a Squash Horn

Early summer is the best time to make a squash horn. You can use stems of zucchini or summer squash. Cut a stem close to the base of the plant.


I was hoping to find a straight stem, but the curved ones work fine, too. Now cut off the leaf, but don't cut off the solid end of the stem. You only want it hollow on the large end.


Use a knife or a vegetable peeler to gently scrape off the prickles.


Cut a slit in one side of the hollow stem close to the solid end. It should be about 1 inch long.


Now put the slit end in your mouth and blow very hard. You may have to widen the slit the tiniest bit if you have trouble getting air into the horn.


We experimented with shortening the length of the horn for different sounds. Now, get a few friends and a few more stems and start your own squash band!

I adapted instructions on how to make a squash horn from a book called "Log Cabin Cooking: Pioneer Recipes and Food Lore," by Barbara Sewell.

5 comments:

suzanne said...

Hi Beth

I can see my Son especially wanting to do this activity. Thank you for the idea. By the way your blog picture looks great! It took me ages to figure it out and still can't tell you how mine there!

Happy day to you!

Warm regards
Suzanne

Beth said...

Thanks, Suzanne!

gardenmama said...

Beth, I am loving your blog and the way you live your life!! This post brought back so many good memories for me. Growing up, my grandfather had a farm and he would make these horns for us. I remember him carefully taking out his pocket knife making slices just so... As an adult I couldn't remember what veggie or how he did it, as a kid it was *magic* and I did not need to know the details : ) Thank you for bringing this to light so that I can pass this along to my kids as well!!

Beth said...

Gardenmama,
I'm so happy to hear that your grandfather did squash horns with you! I am very interested in these old-time crafts and next I want to try making a willow whistle. I don't want these traditions to be lost. So good, pass it on!

Travis said...

I have been searching for a long time to find out how to do this again! Just to make sure, I only cut a slit and leave the piece attached correct? I do not cut the whole piece out and leave a hole. And does the second slit go on the narrow or the wide side? Thank you!