Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Visit to Skansen Museum

This wonderful open-air museum in Stockholm, Sweden, was founded in 1891. Costumed interpreters people the buildings: the manors, cottages, shops, and workplaces which were collected from all over Sweden and brought to this island in Stockholm's archipelago. Skansen preserves different times of Sweden's history and its tradition of handcraft. It also features Swedish wildlife and farm animals.

This man is weaving a fishing net.


Here is a picture from the fascinating machinist's shop.



Here is the pastry shop. The interior photographs, for which I did not use a flash, seem glowing and still, like a Vermeer painting.


This little boy is having a pastry.


These are the storage drawers in the hardware store.


This is a toy oven from the hardware man's home at the back of the shop.


This was a tea towel in the kitchen of the hardware man's home. I would love to know what it says.


This is the dairy shop. The dairy lady is showing my son how to use the scale.


This interpreter is dressed as a Sami woman. She is carving a little wooden spoon. Watching her made me want to learn to whittle.


This interpreter is a homemaker putting the kettle on the stove.


These geese were in front of the schoolhouse.


Traditional Swedish rural architecture.




If you are interested in learning more about Skansen, click on the title of this post.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

What an amazing museum!!! It looks like you had a great day! I love the architecture!

Beth said...

Thanks, Lisa! It was a wonderful day. I hope I get to go back some day! I loved it.

gardenmama said...

Gorgeous photos! I enjoyed the one you had mentioned reminding you of a Vermeer painting, it truly does! I did google translator for the tea towel this is what I came up with...
We are going Koksvagen
Any ideas what that means? I am going to ask my friend who lives in Sweden, now I am curious!

Beth said...

Wow! I would love it if your Swedish friend could translate the tea towel. Thanks for investigating, Gardenmama.

suzanne said...

What a lovely post Beth. Its so wonderful seeing places through bloging. That must have been a lovely experience.

Warm regards
Suzanne

Beth said...

I can't wait to go back to Skansen one day, and explore more of it! Soon I will blog about Junibacken, the children's book museum nearby Skansen.