Monday, November 23, 2009

Make a Fall Swag

The whole family, from kindergartener to grandparent, can do this fall craft together and make a beautiful Thanksgiving decoration, while the baby wallows in the fabric scraps.



My friend Peyton showed me how to make a fabric swag. I created this swag with a group of friends. I provided about fifteen feet of rope clothesline, (not the plastic kind). We pooled a collection of rich fall colored fabric scraps, dumped them in a heap on the table, and started ripping. Tear strips of fabric which measure roughly 2 and a half to 3 inches wide by about 24 inches long. No measuring and no scissors are required, although you may need scissors to snip the edge of the fabric before you tear. Tearing fabric is fun.



Now tie the scraps onto the clothesline. Just loop a scrap over the clothesline, and cross the ends, pushing one end under the cross and through, as you do with your laces when you start to tie your shoes. That's all. No knot is necessary.



You don't even have to be too picky about the colors. There will be so many that they will blend together fine. I might not have picked navy blue and green, but I love how they look. I did try to avoid pastel and white.



I like to bring my swag out in the fall and use it to decorate the mantel until springtime.


It is also beautiful swagged over a wide doorway. Incidentally, it is an indoor decoration. It would quickly become bedraggled outside.

6 comments:

Grace said...

Beautiful!

Tammie Lee said...

this looks like a wonderful thing to do with friends!
I have never heard of the book you mentioned, thank you - I will take a peak at it. Happy Thanksgiving!

*erin* said...

Oh, wow! That looks great! I have tons of fabic & I hardly sew these days, so I think I'm going to try and make one!!! Thanks for sharing!

Mama Rose said...

I love how it looks over your mantle. It adds a warmth that's great for the cold season :D

farmama said...

That's wonderful Beth! It looks great on your mantle! I love the colors in your home!
love, sara

Saminda said...

If I could only get my hands on lots of fabric scraps, I'd love to try this one! It's autumn here at the moment, so the perfect time to make one. :) I'll be on the lookout! xo