Sunday, January 10, 2010

In the Bleak Midwinter


In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

This is the first stanza of "In the Bleak Midwinter", a carol we heard in church this weekend. We just celebrated Epiphany, when the Magi arrive bringing gifts to the Christ Child. The lyrics come from a poem by Christina Rossetti. It is hauntingly beautiful. If you would like to hear it, click on the title of this post to see a video of the choir of Gloucester Cathedral.

Speaking of the Christ Child, the Nativity, and the Magi, here are some pictures I took of my friend Marcy's beautiful Christmas carousel collection before it was put away until next year.







What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part,
Yet what can I give Him? I give my heart.

3 comments:

FairiesNest said...

That is my all time favorite carol! I love that it was written by Christina Rossetti who also wrote "Goblin Market".

softearthart said...

Hi, This is just lovely, so is the winter photo, cheers Marie

Diane said...

They are so beautiful. I am hosting an art giveaway that you might find interesting. Stop by when you have a chance and take a look.