Thursday, July 8, 2010

Make Popcorn!

In the days before microwave ovens, we made popcorn on the stovetop. Here's how. For a medium-sized saucepan, you need to measure out about a third of a cup of fresh popcorn. Also get a big ceramic bowl out, so you can dump the fresh popcorn in right away!

Now you need oil. I like to use extra virgin olive oil. I even use it to make pancakes!

Coat the bottom of the saucepan with olive oil, and add three kernels.

Cover the pan and heat it on high, constantly moving the pan on the heating element so that the oil won't burn. Listen for each kernel to pop. As soon as the third one has popped, immediately add all of the rest of the popcorn, and cook, continuing to move the pan vigorously the whole time. When the popping slows, it's done. Dump into a bowl right away!

Now add some sea salt and serve this pure, unadulterated, delicious popcorn to your family!

10 comments:

momma rae said...

one of our favorite snacks (sometimes a meal!). i have taken to using coconut oil which is yummy and we can't have popcorn without nutritional yeast!! mmmm....

FairiesNest said...

We're even more old school. We use a wire basket that we shake over the gas flame on the stove...no oil necessary. :)

FOR LOVE OF MY OCEANS said...

I remember doing it this way with my grandmother, it brings back such fond memories. have you ever made popcorn from the cob? thats my next popcorn adventure

Blessings,
Kat

Sally said...

momma rae, we do the exact same thing! We do not have a microwave, but you can't NOT have popcorn with a movie! 9+ years ago, (in our microwave days, lol) we had a Charlie Brown tree at Christmas and we wanted to string up popcorn for it. I thought it far wiser to pop it plain, stovetop...after nibbling here and there on it, I swore off the bagged stuff forever!
mmmm...time to get ours out...

Jeanene said...

My children love to make popcorn we make it almost every week on the stove. We've never used a microwave in our home.

CHILDHOOD MAGIC said...

we've actually never made popcorn! I think we'll have to give it a try now, I'm sure my kids would love it!

Bending Birches said...

delightful!!! another great post on a fantastic and inspiring blog!
I love to use EVOO in my baking, ect., too...thought lately, I've been more of a fan of the coconut oil...mm...maybe it's a summer thing:)

Phyllis said...

I have just nominated you as a Blog of Substance. http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/passing-on-blog-with-substance-award.html
Have a happy day!

Emily said...

That looks delicious!

Beth said...

Mmmmm....coconut oil! That sounds delicious! I've never tried it! As for having it dry, um, it sounds too fat-free for me!!! Let me know how popping it on the cob goes and how you do it! love, Beth