Friday, August 13, 2010

Fresh Caught Fish for Dinner


Another posting about seafood! We are having such delicious fresh food this summer. My son and I caught some scup using seaworms for bait. (Ouch! Seaworms bite with their ugly little heads!) It was the best success we have ever had fishing and I was ecstatic to finally be able to make dinner with our fresh catch. First I had to clean them. I did it down on the beach, far from my son's view, since I knew he would never eat the fish if he saw me clean them. Anyone nearby would have heard me say, "Ewww, ewww, ewww." That was just at first, though. Soon I felt like a fish monger as I slung the unappetizing bits into a bucket. But I need a sharper knife next time. I felt like a cave-wife as I sawed at the fish with a dull paring knife which felt no better than a sharpened stone.

I put my nice sweet-smelling fresh fish into a pan in which I had poured olive oil. I sprinkled fresh native tomatoes, minced garlic, and sliced onions on top. I added more olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper, and basil. Then I baked it for about twenty minutes.

I want to catch something bigger next time! Scup tastes fine but is difficult to eat because it has many, many bones. My husband de-boned some fish for my little boy. It was fun to watch him do it. He was very precise and worked with the intense concentration of a surgeon.

Every time I meet a fisherman I quiz him about his lures, bait, and methods. There is something new I'm going to try this week. I want to get a bluefish or a sea bass! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

FairiesNest said...

The finished product sounds yummy! I admit to getting my husband to do fish cleaning so I admire you for doing it for yourself. :)

Grace said...

Just - yum!
And good luck on catching a big sea bass!

KeLLy aNN said...

umm, yuum. We had a houseboat growing up and every Summer we would spend a week or two on the Bayou.
It was some of the best times of my childhood. Marathon Bars, Fresh Fried Brim, Bacon and Syrup for breakfast, T~ mans grocery with the foos~ball table, Snakes, and more mosquitoes than you ever though could exist.
What a lovely time you had!