Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Northern Bay

This is a sprig of Northern Bay, with its little cluster of bayberries. It smells wonderful when you crush the berries in your hands. The colonists used to collect bayberries and make candles out of them, because they have a fragrant and waxy coating. I was thinking of trying to make a candle this way until I read that we would have to fill a large cardboard box with bayberries to make one candle. What?!!!! Well, maybe I will try to make a tiny one.

Here is the beautiful bayberry shrub, which grows in the dunes. My niece and I picked some leaves and I dried them at a low setting in the oven. I will give some jars away, and use some myself for soups and stews, like the clam chowder in the posting below. Incidentally, the bay which comes in jars at the grocery store is most likely Turkish bay.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Oh, I love bay. I feel stupid not realizing that bayberry and bay leaves come from the same plant. Oh, silly me. I love this post. I can almost smell it now...

softearthart said...

I have a lovely big Bay tree by my front gate, love the smell. I also planted mine 20 years ago, as a protector for my home. cheers Marie

Amanda said...

how cool is that!?