Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Planet Box

This is a Planet Box, a wonderful lunch box which I discovered by following a conversation on Natural Kids Team at etsy. The box is stainless steel, a bit heavy compared to most lunch boxes, but I am very happy with it. My child has eaten every crumb of his lunch since I started using it, and I am not using any plastic or paper, so there is no waste of any kind. Each compartment is designed for a particular food and everything is kept separate. I am extremely sleepy when I first get up in the morning, and I find the little compartments prompt me and kept me focused on making a good lunch. I don't spend as much time deliberating about what to pack.

The bottom left spot is for fresh fruit. Today I put fresh native apple slices tossed with orange juice to keep them from browning. The top left spot is for fresh vegetables. I put crunchy cucumber slices there today. The top right is for crackers, and today I put some Whole Foods cheese crackers, a snack my child likes. The bottom right has the main course. I made whole wheat tortilla with a little monterey jack cheese melted on it. See the tiny spot in the middle? It's for dessert. It is tiny but it looks special and I put a mixture of bunny grahams in there.

When you put the lid down and clamp it shut, all the foods stay where they belong. Your child can decorate the top of the planet box with magnets. We ordered the space magnets, but I forgot to add them to the box today.

You can put a cool pack, a cloth napkin, and a utensil into the mesh pocket on the carrier. Have you discovered "To Go Ware" yet? I bought this little packet in a local coffee shop. It contained a fork, knife, spoon, and chopsticks made of bamboo, a sustainable wood.

Zip it all up into the carry bag. The carry bag has a special pocket just the right size for the "Big Dipper", a stainless steel container you can use so that the child can get out his snack quickly. The stretchy black pocket is a snug fit for a standard sized water bottle so that it won't fall out. Our steel water bottle is made by a Swiss company, Sigg. We got it last school year and it is holding up very well.

Here are the big and little dippers below. The big dipper fits into the main course compartment and has a seal so that you can use it for leaky foods. The little dipper is also sealed and is designed to fit into a special spot in the vegetable compartment for holding a dip.

All of the pieces are sold separately, and they are expensive. I felt a little crazy spending so much on a lunchbox. But it seems very well made, so I expect it to last a long time. I am not using any paper or plastic in the lunch box, which is good for my child's health, the environment, and possibly for my pocketbook. (At least I hope so!) He is eating every bit of it, and I feel very pleased when I put the lid down on such a healthy and delicious-looking lunch every morning.

8 comments:

Phyllis said...

Oh, that is so awesome!

softearthart said...

This is terrific, cheers Marie

Nadja Magdalena said...

I'm impressed! I almost wish I was sending the kids off to school just so that I could have an excuse to have a few of those around!

Bec said...

That looks fantastic! I am sure I've seen them on other blogs but none with a thorough description, I think I will have to check them out.

Beth said...

It came home empty again today! Beth

Appleshoe said...

AWESOME! We use the LapTop Lunch Box System. They are made from toxic-free and recycled lunch packing products & water bottles, but I'm always worried that the hinges will give out and it does not like to stay shut. This is GREAT!! Thank you

Heather said...

I love this lunch box, and I have just ordered two for the boys! Thanks for the great recommendation

Cal said...

Looks fantastic! And it looks like it will last forever too.