Friday, December 17, 2010

Apple Butter


I saw apple butter made the old-fashioned way a long time ago in Appalachia at a Fall celebration.  There was a wonderful smell of woodsmoke and spices in the air as people stirred deep brown apple butter in a huge copper cauldron, with a wooden spoon which was nearly as big as an oar.  Here's the new-fangled way we do it at our house.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

3 quarts applesauce (2 46 oz jars)
3 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. cinnamon 

Mix.  Cook in crock pot on low for 24 hours uncovered.  Put into hot jars and use hot lids and hot rings to seal.

Mmmmm.  The house smells so good!


5 comments:

Prettydreamer said...

Dear Beth ... looks delicious ....can't wait to try it out! ~Pamela

Appleshoe said...

oh my goodness. I can't wait to try this! Thank you for posting it, you know how much I love apples. Take care!

Heather said...

I love apple butter, and I am coming to realize that one can never have too many recipes :).

Amanda said...

I love the idea of making it with applesauce. I made it this fall with 9 lbs of tiny apples. Do you have any idea what a pain in the neck (literally) it is to peal and core 9 lbs of tiny apples!!!

Peggy said...

I love your apple butter, Beth! love, Mama