Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's on The Beach

We spent part of this weekend in our favorite wild places.  

 We never walk in the salt marsh in the summer because we don't want to trample the native grasses. Look how beautifully golden they are in winter.

It was fun exploring the little streams which wind through the marsh. 

Still pools reflected the blue sky.  We didn't see any little creatures except snails.


Today, on New Year's Day, we explored a new place, a gorgeous new place full of tidal pools and teeming with birds of all kinds.  I can't wait to explore again in the summertime.  We will look for crabs and sea stars. 

It's fun to watch barnacles when they are underwater.  Have you ever done that?  Delicate feathery little creatures live inside.  They venture out to wave in the currents.  They disappear in a flash if your finger gets too close, and the little barnacle doors snap shut.


 
My little son spotted mother and child seals out in the calm water on a rock.  I've never seen wild seals.  I was beside myself with joy.  It is an auspicious beginning for the new year.

6 comments:

gardenmama said...

oh, beth! i think this is a very magical start to the new year! your banner is lovely, what are the figures?

Elizabeth said...

Oh how much fun! What a wonderful adventure to begin 2011!

Aimee B said...

Beth,
What a lovely way to start your year. Where in the world are you? "Your" beach is as beautiful as "mine"....
I am still trying to locate that coat pattern, I haven't forgotten, I just got lost in my studio library. 2011 may be the year to send some of my books out into the world....
Happy 2011

Salley said...

Lovely pictures, Beth! It looks like Bourne, but there may be spots like it in RI, too. Happy New Year!

Amanda said...

A lovely beginning indeed! Its been such a joy experiencing the Eastern shore with your family through your blog this year. I look forward to following next year's adventures!

marcia said...

A joyous day Beth! so nice to have a bit of warm weather!

Happy New Year to you and your family!