Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Potpourri

Before you take down your Christmas tree, snip some little branches off for a nice, piney winter potpourri.  Now add some spices.

 Cinnamon sticks.

 Star Anise.  (But not too many maybe.  They are gorgeous, but they smell like licorice.)

 Whole allspice.

 Cardamom pods.

I mixed the spices with Christmas tree greens, spruce greens, three different shapes of conifer cones, oak branch lichen, fresh lavender, and fresh rosemary in a big beautiful copper leaf bowl.  I then sprinkled plenty of ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.  Not all of these things are fragrant, but I wanted to create a potpourri with fragrance, texture, and beautiful forms, too.  The fragrance itself is very natural and subtle.  You probably have to get close.  But, mmmmm, it smells so good.


Phyllis said...

What an excellent idea!

boatbaby said...

I LOVE this idea... I can smell it through the screen. Just what I needed today becuase it really smells like boy in here. yuck.

Amanda said...

beautiful as it is fragrant, I'm sure!

marcia said...

Sounds glorious. We don't have a real tree( gasp!) but have loads of different evergreens on our land. A great project to do with the children in my earth school!

Another award for you because you constantly inspire me :)

happy day!
love marcia

Heather said...

This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

suzanne said...

Dear Beth

A happy new year to you~ Thank you for your message. My computer is now up and running and can finally belong to our little online community again. With pleasure you can use a photograph.

Love to you

Alyson said...

I love this idea! I will have to use this.

Thank you.


95acresofsky said...

I love the way that natural elements rarely clash as long as they are in balance. A bit like life!

Sunshine Mama said...

This is such a great idea and it looks so natural!

Chapter Forty said...

This is delightful and a very good reason to get a real Christmas tree.