Friday, October 7, 2011

Making Spelt Bread Using a European Recipe

 I was looking for bread flour and this is what I found at one of our local groceries.  When I got home I found out that epeautre is spelt.  Today was cool and cloudy and my housework was calling to me.  It was a perfect day to make bread instead!

I found a recipe for spelt bread on the back of the package.  I've never used a recipe in French before, but have been wanting to try.

 I had to use a scale to measure dry ingredients in grams.

 The recipe called for 1 cc. of salt.  A cc. is a cuillère à café.  I used a European teaspoon, and leveled the salt when I measured it.

A cs. is a cuillère à soupe.

I used fresh cake yeast, and measured it using my scale.  Do you see how everything is written in three languages on the food packages?  The main languages of Switzerland are Swiss German, French, and Italian.  Romanche, a fourth official language of Switzerland, is spoken by about 60,000 people.

The yeast had to be dissolved in warm water.  To figure out how much water to use I used a conversion table I found online.

The recipe called for sunflower oil, but I use virgin olive oil for just about everything, including pancakes.

Out came my mixer and the dough hook.  I kneaded for a while, and added some extra flour, but the dough stayed very, very sticky.  I finally decided to just let it stay sticky.

Here is the dough after it rose in the "moule à cake" for about an hour.  I removed some plastic wrap about halfway along.  It stuck to the dough and made some little waves on top.

After placing the bread in the cold oven and then baking at 200 celsius for about fifty minutes, here is the result.  The crust is very crisp and crunchy.  The interior is airy and chewy, and it is delicious,

especially with la buerre à gros sel des Alpes, (butter with chunks of salt from the Alps.)  Did you know salt is mined in the Alps?  I didn't, until I moved to Switzerland.  This afternoon I brought my boy a snack of spelt bread with a slice of chocolate sandwiched inside.  He loved it!  Wouldn't you?


8 comments:

Cal said...

Yum! Looks delicious.

anushka said...

you're well on your way to becoming swiss (or german for that matter) by putting a slice of chocolate in your son's sandwich. : ) my grandmother always did this for me. what a lovely bread you made! i love your new header picture. don't you love european grocery shopping? all the products so aesthetically packaged and just the different languages alone excite me.

earthboysblog said...

I love spelt, I used to make bread with it when I lived in Miami,, now in DR sometimes they even run out of wholewheat flour... we even looked into growing our own but it's too much work on top of what we already have to do. We do make our own bread though, every day. The sandwich does look yummie.

Francesca said...

Now you know how I feel here. Before moving to the USA I made sure to order a scale able to convert measures.... I love spelt flour but here I don't use it much, I have to convert my husband to different wheats...I love fresh yeast but I can't find it here. When I am in Italy I often visit a German supermarket and they have bread mixes and good butter and dairies. Dairies are good here too. Good luck with your experiments. Bread and chocolate IS good, better than Nutella!

Rosemary said...

That spelt bread and Alpine butter looks really yummy.I like to use spelt flour which was brought to Britain by the Romans, it is now known as a relict crop, but rapidly gaining popularity.

Amanda said...

You rocked that conversion chart! That bread looks amazing, and for that matter so does the salt. It seems my favorite time to try something creative, or new is when I have house hold chores calling me. Nothing silences laundry like taking on an exciting challenge.


blessings,
Amanda

Monika said...

I found your blog trough the blog of a friend's friend. I'm a Swiss living in Switzerland and it's just so funny to read how you see our daily life and groceries.
I like to try american recipes and am confronted to the conversion issues g = cups.
By the way, you did ways better with your bread than I when I tried my first recipe in French ;-)

Bonnie said...

Oh yes, I can only imagine learning how to do all of the conversions and using a scale...and different ingredients. I really like the comment just above mine from Monika..I like how she is interested and amused to see how you view daily Swiss life and groceries...that is so cool...and to me, I am just looking at these posts and I am just soaking it all up and loving the differences in the culture...it is all so beautiful and charming and quaint. It's just neat how we all take for granted our daily life and doings and typical groceries and such..but when foreigners experience it, it is so wonderfully amazing..I just love that!