Friday, November 18, 2011

The Fondu Pot

 I saw it among the many fondu pots at Manor, the department store.  It was the "caquelon" I liked best.  I wanted one with cows and a herdsman, but it was expensive, like most things in Switzerland.  I hemmed and hawed.  I could pay less and get a plain one.  But I plan on using this pot a few times a month for a long time, I reasoned.  It would be fun to use with guests.  It is Swissy, and since although I am an American and new to Switzerland, I adore anything Swissy, anything with a Swiss flag or Swiss imagery of any kind.  I almost have a sort of Swiss patriotism.  I "buy Swiss."

 I discussed it with my little boy.
"You should get it, Mom.  I'll help pay for it.  I'll pay 5 francs."  How could I refuse that sweet offer?  Of course I said yes!

 We bought it and then went straight down to the fabulous Manor food hall to buy a baguette and some cheese.  We were able to get a bag of delicious fondu cheese, a mixture of vacherin and gruyere, already grated.  Did you know that some Swiss have a fondu room in the basement?  Some gardens have a little fondu building in them.

 It is customary to have hot tea or white wine with your fondu.....

 and to kiss everyone at the table if you drop a piece of bread in the cheese.

Mmmmm.  Delicious school night dinner in Switzerland.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Well now, my mouth is watering and I really want to make some fondue! It's been a long time. We went to a restaurant a few years back called The Melting Pot..your whole meal is done with a fondue pot. The pot you bought is beautiful...that is so sweet that your son said he would help pay for it...how adorable!

Patzi said...

Giving a kiss to everyone at the table is much nicer than in the comic Asterix and Obelix and the Suisse, where you get dunked if you loose a piece of bread :-)

Love you fondue pot!

softearthart said...

Wonderful Beth, I still have my fondue pot from 30 years ago, it does not come out often, but having one like this it who come out more, cheers Marie

Anya said...

I wanted to get a fondu pot forever. What a great way to spend and evening.

Rosemary said...

Dear Beth - this post has reminded me of happy fondue memories spent in Switzerland. I have a fondue set in the cupboard, I must get it out again and renew my acquaintance with it.

Cammie said...

What a beautiful fondu pot!! And a lovely, cozy fall dinner, I am sure. I love it!

nunu said...

what a sweet boy to help you buy your coveted pot - and i can see why. i love swissy things too! : ) oh and how i love fondue!

Beth said...

Thank you everyone! I wish I could have you all over for fondu....especially you, Cammie!

cathy@home said...

I think a plain fondue set you could buy any where but that is so Swiss.

Fiona said...

You made the right choice Beth.
A good fondue pot will last forever, and your boy will have such fond memories of sharing fondue over it (I am a HUGE fan of the whole 'shared meal' thing).

Sadly my two kids loathe fondue!! And they were born in Switzerland too, so be thankful for your cheese loving boy.