Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Crazy Bugs Art Project with Little Children!

 A helper and I did this project with 12 children in kindergarten and first grade during an after school art class today, and I'm so happy with the results that I'm still smiling.  Aren't they beautiful?

 I prepared collage papers ahead of time, because the children only had an hour for art.  But if you have plenty of time, your children could paint the collage papers themselves and have days of fun.  I painted paper with tempera paints in red, several blues, green, yellow, orange, purple, brown, and black.  The children picked the background color they wanted to work on.

 I encouraged them to start with a body about the size of their head, so that they wouldn't end up with a teeny tiny bug in the center of a big piece of paper.  And I encouraged them to use their imagination and make their bug any way they wanted, with a mixture of any colors and any features they wanted!

 Most of the bugs had wings, and some of them had hair and other details like stripes and dots.

 Look how different they all are.  I like the way this one has two different colored wings. 

 This little bug has a very determined expression, it seems to me.

 I suggested that the crazy bugs could have heads of any shape, and this child said, "My bug is going to have a square head!"

 This one has a tail or a stinger.

 Look at the star shape on this bug.

 There are spots on this gal and a fancy hairdo!

I know this bug is upside down and I can't seem to turn it back over.....maybe it is flying upside down right now....anyway...I love the colors.  Turquoise, red, pink, and yellow........wow!

Hey, there is one missing!  I wish I had gotten a picture of it, too......Maybe the mother of the young artist can take a picture of it and send it to me.  Then I could make a poster of all the wonderful bugs and hang it in my studio to inspire me.

2 comments:

DeVona said...

Great bugs! So vibrant and alive! Thanks for sharing these kinds of bugs with us!

Beth said...

Thanks, Devona! I can't wait to get in my studio and make things! I'm completely inspired. Beth