Saturday, April 6, 2013

Butterfly Collages

This is a project we did with kindergarteners and first graders in the after school art program.

First we made some beautiful collage papers.  A visiting friend and I painted some together.


Karma and I had gathered some plane tree prunings for the project, which was developed around an idea of hers to do squish paintings.

Here is my friend trying a squish painting.  Using a little spoon some put paint on the middle of some paper.  Fold it in half and squish it.  It makes a symmetrical painting and it's fun to see the results.  This part of the project gave us problems because the squish paintings took way too long to dry during the class.  The children had to work with wet paper to make their butterflies.  I had some templates handy for the children who wanted them for their butterflies.


Each child had a base made of corrugated cardboard, and they cut collage papers to make a scene, added branches, (I hot glued the branches where they wanted them,) cotton for clouds, and butterflies cut out from the squish paintings they made.

Here are some of the children's squish paintings.  Karma showed the children how to make them.







As always, it's so fun to see the variety of results!

2 comments:

kristin said...

oh yes, we will be doing this sweet project at my preschool. It's time for us to start celebrating warmer weather!! Thank you for the detailed description of this handwork. xx

Beth said...

You're welcome! I went to look at your blog and I love it. What a wonderful preschool you have! Beth