I've been trying to create a new kind of doll for a few months, and I have finally succeeded in creating my first patchy pirate. She needs a few details, like some wee braids, buttons, and ric-rac.
I wanted to spend more time playing with color and experimenting as I made dolls. I wanted the whole process to feel more fun, more intuitive and creative, with a doll which felt more uniquely mine.
I tried to make rag dolls using jersey, velour, felted sweaters, blue jean, and crisp cotton. I had a lot of trouble with the head. Some of the trial dolls were downright strange and creepy looking. I gave away the cutest of the experiments and I came back around to doing waldorf heads, since they are so lovable.
Here is a pile of patchy pirate bodies! What a joy to play around with these patches of bright color! I love it! More fun to come soon as I finish these little patchy pirates in the coming week.